11.14.2012

products that didn't work for me


Sometimes it's just as important to hear about products that don't work just as much as the ones that do. These are just my personal opinions and experiences with products that I didn't have any luck with. Maybe if you've had luck with any of these, you can tell me what I'm doing wrong! :)
 

Burt's Bee's Citrus Facial Scrub
I purchased this Citrus Facial Scrub expecting something way different. I was hoping to get a good exfoliation out of this, but absolutely no luck! The product seemed very dry, and not even water helped to get a better consistency. I didn't feel like it cleaned my face at all. I love Burt's Bees, but this did not seem worth the money. 



Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush in Candy Coral 
My biggest issue with this blush is its texture. The blush is neatly packaged. However, after only a few uses, the product gets everywhere. The texture is more like "play-doh" than "bouncy" as it claims to be. Some of the lighter colors in this line, such as Candy Coral, take a lot of effort to get color on your cheeks. 



 If you want just a sheer wash of color, then you might like these blushes. But be prepared to spend a few extra minutes to get some kind of color. To me, there are just way better blush options for even better prices, such as the ones from Wet n Wild or ELF. 



L'oreal HiP Cream Eyeliner
I bought this liner to see if it could replace my MAC Fluid Line in Blacktrack. At first, I really liked this product. But I found over time that it started to smudge easily. The product in the pot also dried out much quicker than the MAC liner. I do like other drugstore gel liners, but this one just did not work. The best gel liner I've found at the drugstore is from Physician's Formula. 



ELF Studio Lip Stain in Fashionista
 I haven't really found an ELF product I don't like... until this one. I think I was drawn to the color more than the fact that it claimed to be a "stain." I applied the pink color to my lips, then waited about two minutes, and then applied the gloss. I think I've come across lip balms that last longer than this. The color settles into any lines or cracks in your lips. (ew!) And it doesn't ever fully dry so it will rub off on anything that hits your lips. Don't expect this one to last longer than your average lipstick! Luckily, this one only set me back about 3 dollars. 

However, I do highly recommend checking out other ELF products such as the blushes, powders, and brushes at your local Target! 



NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream
This was one of those I-don't-own-anything-like-this-so-I-feel-like-I-should moments in Ulta. Anyone else have those? Just me? :) This matte lip cream is definitely matte. However, it made me look very sick... or that I was about to die. It just didn't do anything for me. Maybe it was the wrong color. But the texture seems a little off too. And I don't think adding a gloss could have helped it out. I'm just going to stick with my comfort zone of lipsticks and lip balms! I tried :)



Covergirl Lashblast 24 Hour Mascara
I know I'll probably get a few "how can you not love this mascara?" thoughts on this one. I know this is loved by many people. I once tried the original Lashblast and it didn't do any amazing things for me. But, I decided to try the 24 hour just to see if this version would work better for me. Unfortunately there were major smudging problems with this. It also didn't do anything to volumize my lashes. So, unfortunately this one didn't work in round two.
Sorry Lashblast lovers! 


 HealthySexyHair Soy Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner
This was an impulse buy at Ulta. I was in a rush and I needed a new shampoo. They didn't have what I was looking for, so I picked up this HealthySexyHair shampoo/conditioner with Soy, Coconut, and Argain Oil because it was on sale. And I really like this line so I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, I thought it was pretty terrible. I needed a lot of the shampoo to get a good lather. And the conditioner was very thin and watery. None of the ingredients they highlight on the packaging did more for my hair.  For $20, I definitely expected more. 

The bottles are also made very poorly. Much of the shampoo built up inside and around the cap causing it to run down the sides. I literally had to wash these bottles before taking a photo of them. You shouldn't have to clean your bottles! 
Moral of the story: if you see these on sale at Ulta... look the other way!

Have you had any luck with these products? 
What are some of your unfortunate experiences with makeup or beauty products that you initially thought you'd like? 


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/14/2012

    I don't like any of the lash blast mascaras, none of them do anything good for my eyelashes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super useful post! I was thinking of buying the NYX lip cream but now I'll probably give it a pass (don't really want to look deathly ill haha)! I am searching for a new shampoo and conditioner and it's so hard to find good ones!

    x Ellie @ Ellalogy 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried the Nexxus brand for shampoo and conditioner? Their Humectress and Therappe lines are great!

      Delete
  3. I don't like Lash Blast either!!! It literallt did nothing for my lashes:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried 2 NYX soft matte lip creams in pink and red. Didn't like either. Both dried my lips out and you could see all my lines and cracks. Yuck! I love revlon cream lipstick...it's the longest lasting lip color I've ever tried.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for a post. I haven't used any of these products and don't think I will... thank you!


    xo Ashley
    http://www.ashnfashn.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...