6.26.2012

diy: makeup brush holder

Maybe I’m the minority, but I have quite the candle collection from Bath& Body Works. Their 3-wick Slatkin & Co candles are my favorite. The glass jars are a good size, and I knew there had to be a way to use them again rather than just throw away once I finish burning them. A little Google searching, and I found a way to re-use these empty candles. 

What you need: your used candle, a freezer, small sharp knife, soap & water

Here’s how I did it:  



1. Place your candle in the freezer for at least an hour. I leave mine overnight.

 2. Now that the wax has shrunk, take your candle out of the freezer and start literally stabbing the wax randomly. It should easily crack and crumble to pieces.

3. Once you’ve stabbed it a lot and have it down to just small pieces of wax, dump it in the trash. Remove any extra wax that is just sticking around the jar.

4. You’re left with 3 wicks. Some will just pop right off with the knife. If they don’t come off that easy, soak them in extremely hot water for 10 minutes to melt the glue. Peel them off using your nails. 

5. Now peel off those two stickers. The front label should peel off easily. The bottom label will just require using your nails and scraping off any excess stickiness. I do this part under the water. 

6. Now just give it a good hand wash with soap and water. Voila! 



I use mine to hold my brushes, but you could use these for virtually anything you want -- nail polishes, bobby pins or other hair accessories, or any nick knacks. 

Let me know if you try this one out!

8 comments:

  1. Oh! Love this! I did this a few months ago and took it one step further and added glitter (with Mod Podge) to the inside! Great post! I'm new to your blog through The Small Things Blog chat session. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll definitely try the glitter on my next one! Love Mod Podge. Thanks Lacy! :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6/26/2012

    GREAT POST:) Your blog is so wonderful and I will happily follow.

    If you want some Swedish décor inspiration, you can check out my blog:)
    Have a great weekend.

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
    (Sweden)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very interesting post!

    If you like it, follow my blog on Bloglovin' and I will follow you back with pleasure. Just let me know in the comments ;)

    LA By Diana Live Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whaaaat?! God, why didn't I think of that?!

    I have to know... where did you get the beads/pebbles/rocks? I've been to Walmart and JoAnn's looking for something suitable, but everything I find is either too ridged or too large.

    Thanks!
    Valeri
    suburbanlivingblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valeri, the beads are from Michael's Craft store. I found them in an aisle with all of the marbles and rocks.

      Hope this helps!

      <3 Mallory

      Delete
  5. I have this candle but I haven't lit it yet! Lovely D.I.Y!
    P.s) I'm your newest subbie<3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...