8.06.2012

under eye concealers and brighteners


There are a lot of products that I switch up often. Mainly because I haven’t found that “perfect one” to do the trick, or sometimes they all work fine and I just want to have options when I’m getting ready. But when it comes to under eye concealers and brighteners, I have found what I’ve been looking for, and I’m not really in the market to switch it up any time soon. But to be honest, I think I may be blessed by the “under eye circle gods” (or something like that) because I do not have a dark circle problem… yet. I’m sure one day I’ll eat those words, but for now, I mainly focus on brightening the eye area with concealer and brightener. In addition to concealing any dark circles or hyperpigmentation, brightening the eyes gives a more well-rested appearance.

It’s also a good idea to brighten the under eyes when you know you’ll be taking a lot of pictures. The effect of having your cheekbones contoured with bronzer and the brightened under eyes really helps define your face in a photograph.

Under eye concealer can be tricky. You want it to match your skin tone, cover dark circles, brighten, and have a thin consistency so it’s not gathering in any fine lines a few hours later. These are three products that I feel do the best job of meeting all of those criteria.


This is my absolute, “holy grail” under eye brightener. I use the shade Ivory, which I believe is the lightest shade. This stuff is amazing. The texture is very smooth with a gel-like consistency. It’s so easy to blend. I apply this after my foundation. I make an upside down triangle (between the eye, cheekbone and nose) and just blend really well. This costs around $7, and I think it works better than any high-end brand. Highly recommend this one.

Before the Highlighting Concealer came into my life, there was this Maybelline Dark Circle Eraser. (Maybelline on a roll!) If you’re not interested in brightening your eyes, and just want to cover dark circles, this is your product. It is a more yellow-toned concealer, so that could be a plus or minus, depending on your skin tone. But, it does come in six shades, so it’s worth checking out to see if any will work for you. The sponge applicator aspect may scare the germaphobes out there, at least it did for me, but this one is “anti-microbial” so it kills all bacteria. This concealer also contains goji berry. I’m not exactly sure of the benefits of goji berry, but it sounds nice. :)


There are some concealers that are just too heavy to use under the eye, such as the MakeupForever concealer. Great for imperfections on the face, but not the eyes. This Tarte concealer is really great if you have serious dark circles. It’s a thin enough consistency for easy blending and still provides really good coverage. It's a little more expensive, but if it works for you, it might be worth the investment. 

**UPDATE** 
Fun fact of the day: Miley Cyrus uses this Tarte concealer! The proof is in this pic from her Twitter account. Not that you need Miley's approval to use, but I enjoy seeing celebs use products that they aren't paid to endorse. 




ELF High Definition Powder

If you really want to get fancy with it to help the concealer last all day/night, you can set it with powder. I like using the ELF High Definition Powder. This is $6 at Target and you will never run out. It’s massive and you only need to use a small amount at a time.


The Brushes



If I haven’t mentioned it before, let it be known that Sigma brushes are the best… and they happen to be my favorite. I have the Synthetic Precision (Sigmax) collection of brushes. The bristles are made of synthetic hair, which do not soak up all of the product like many other brushes can do, causing you to waste it. These two brushes are part of a set of 4 that I have. They blend concealers SO well, it’s like using a fingertip but more sanitary (assuming you have clean brushes!).

Tip: Don’t forget that the skin around your eyes is the most sensitive. Never pull and tug when blending. Just pat lightly with your ring finger or brush. Tugging the skin too much can cause wrinkles. No bueno! So yes, remember that when applying any creams, foundation, or moisturizer.



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/07/2012

    You read my mind on what I was hoping you would post today! I bought a concealer brush yesterday in my quest to wear more makeup (most of the time it looks like I'm not wearing any). I have the MAC Select Cover-Up concealer and I really like it. I've always just used my finger to apply (when I actually remember to wear it). From now on, I'll use a brush. :) I bought the E.L.F. concealer brush at Target (only a buck!).
    xoxo, Nell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6/13/2013

    Use the Stock Market to create passive income by ‘Renting’ your shares (writing
    covered calls is the technical name for this strategy) & combine
    this with a Real Estate portfolio designed to give you capital growth (he
    focuses on how to get ‘no money down’ deals). Later on in the same Century the new religion also worked hard to
    change the custom of Blood-revenge. For long
    time of Mobile Reading, Eink screen display with paper books,
    do not hurt the eye, light can read and standby time super
    and no radiation benefits, this can't match other TFT LCD screen, so when choose and buy, want to look for the Eink electronic ink, appear on the market now ebook reader some of the Li - Gui and confusing, the so-called 5 inch TFT screens six inches of "ebook", has the formidable entertainment function, can listen to music, watching movies on the Internet to play games, in fact the only magnified version of the MP4, rather than the real ebook reader.

    Here is my homepage ... free pdf ebook download

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...