6.12.2012

summer makeup


For my first official blog post, what better way to start than with some seasonal tips? Summer has not “officially” begun yet, but according to Louisiana, summer began about 2 months ago. Usually in the summer, my makeup routine gets lighter and I prefer to use fewer products. Less is definitely more this time of year. I need medium coverage to help conceal scars and redness, but I don’t want it to melt away in the first few minutes of being in the sun. These are a few products I depend on daily to help my makeup last all day without going overboard on the application. Check back soon to see my recommendations for skincare and hair care!


1: Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer: Foundation primer is key to helping a liquid foundation last all day, especially if you have combination/oily skin. The right primer will smooth out any lines in your face, and create a nice texture for your foundation to “stick” to. Smashbox Photo Finish Color Correcting is my all-time favorite, but it can be expensive. I use the color correcting green bottle as the green cancels my redness from acne scars. If this isn’t the case for you, I recommend the original clear bottle. I’ve used it and love it also!

2: Revlon ColorStay Foundation (for Combination/Oily Skin): Okay, before I start confessing my love affair with this product, I’ll just say: Go get this now! The Revlon ColorStay line itself is one of my favorite drugstore lines. Here’s a few reasons why this is my go-to foundation for everyday: long wearing, easy to blend (must work fast), medium-full coverage, lightweight, wide color selection, and has SPF 15. You can find it at any drugstore, Target, or Ulta. (If you only need light coverage with some color, I recommend a good tinted moisturizer, like this one or this one.)

3: Laura Mercier translucent powder: Setting your foundation with a loose translucent powder is optional. Us oily skin girls sometimes see it as a must. I bought this one at Sephora over a year ago, use it almost everyday, and I still have a ton of product left. As a mineral powder, it’s superfine and sheer, so it will really help set a liquid foundation and prolong the wear of your makeup.

4: Tarte Park Ave Princess Bronzer: As you probably already know, it’s best to use bronzer where the light will naturally hit your face: cheekbones (forego the blush), bridge of nose, temples and up to the forehead, and the chin. This Tarte bronzer is matte, blends well, and gives a natural finish. Tarte is one of my favorite high-end brands. Their products are formulated without parabens, phthalates or synthetic fragrances. Seriously love this stuff!

5: Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer in Eden: I swear by eye primer. I have extremely oily eyelids as the day goes on. You may not be the same. But, eye primer can be just as important as foundation primer. Because of oil that builds up during the day, my eye shadow used to last 4 hours at best. This Urban Decay primer is the best I've found so far. Now my shadows last 12+ hours. 

6: Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner: Eyeliner is certainly not a “must” for everyday. But I love me some eyeliner on most days. I use this Urban Decay pencil liner because it’s quick and easy to apply on the waterline, and it does not smudge, even after about 8 hours.

7: L’oreal Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara: The L’oreal Voluminous Carbon Black mascara is my “Holy Grail” mascara. No matter how many others I try, I always go back to this one, even over the high-end brands. The waterproof version is no different. I like the waterproof usually just on the weekends or for days at the pool.

8: Urban Decay All Nighter or De-Slick setting spray: A setting spray is optional. I recommend using one when you’ll be out all day and night, and don’t want to touch up or even think about your makeup. This Urban Decay spray is formulated without parabens, sulfates, and synthetic dyes. Gotta love that.

9: EOS lip balm: Those check out lines get me every time. Ever since spotting this “egg looking thing” at Ulta, the EOS lip balm has easily become my preferred lip balm for the summer. I love the lemon drop scent because it is super moisturizing, has SPF 15, and it smells amazing. Ulta, drugstores, and Target carry these balms.

10: NYX Green Tea blotting paper: Gone are the days of touching up with a powder. I suggest keeping blotting sheets in your purse instead. Once during the day, I’ll use a sheet to soak up excess oils and keep my makeup looking fresh. I use the NYX Green Tea sheets, which you can buy at Ulta.

So, that’s it for my makeup essentials for the summer. I’ll share some skincare and haircare products next. What would you add? Leave me some comments! I love seeing what kind of products other people use and trust.

Subscribe to receive emails about new posts or follow on Bloglovin’ if you have an account! 


4 comments:

  1. Erin Gauthier6/25/2012

    I absolutely love the urban decay eye primer you recommended! I have oily eye lids to and after working a 12hr shift, my eye make up has vanished. Plus I'm not allergic to this one :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness... I am obsessed with L'Oreal mascaras too. I love the Voluminous and also the Extra Collagen mascara. I've tried a million too and always go back to those 2! Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...